Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Screening Room

I know. I haven't updated in a while. I suppose it's because nothing particularly blog-worthy has happened lately. Sure, I could write about how I thought for a couple of days that donating plasma would be a great way to save money for Christmas (you can earn $160 a month!) and how I ultimately decided that it's inappropriate to donate blood products for money because, well, I hate needles. I probably should have posted a video of Alex walking, who decided to take up bipedalism during the middle of a Dia de los Muertos celebration at a colleague's house. (Alex, who had previously and consistently refused to bear his own weight, stood up and walked across the room as if he had been walking for months. I suppressed the Olympic enthusiasm welling inside me so as not to disturb the more sophisticated discussions going on around me.) I also should have written that Alex has abidcated himself from the throne of chub. He is now merely in the 55th percentile for weight. Mediocrity never seemed so good; I'm hoping the combination of Alex's walking and slowing growth will bring lower back pain relief.

But I digress. (From what, I don't know. In fact, I don't know if this is technically a digression since I was never going anywhere with this post.)

I watched a delightful movie last night: The Station Agent. The summary on the back of the Netflix envelope reads like an enthusiastic Beyond Balderdash player's winning entry:

"When his only friend dies, a young dwarf named Finbar McBride (Peter Dinklage) relocates to an abandoned train station in rural New Jersey, intent on living the life of a hermit. But his solitude is soon interrupted by his colorful neighbors, which include a struggling artist (Patricia Clarkson) coping with the recent death of her young son and a talkative Cuban hot dog vendor (Bobby Cannavale)."

See what I mean? What's not to love? Have you ever known anyone named Finbar? And was he a dwarf? If not, aren't you curious about Finbar? The makers of this movie know what character development means. It's like a snapshot of three lives meeting at a crossroads, a la Little Miss Sunshine, Everything is Illuminated, and the like. Watch it.


Also playing at our house: Mad Men, season 1. We haven't finished it yet, but we love it. I especially love the music and the graphics that play at the beginning of each episode. I will never tire of them. Fantastic design and evocative music. And what characters! I never knew men could be quite so dispicable and women so helpless.

2 comments:

  1. reviews of 'the station agent' were very good at the sundance film festival, and i've been meaning to get my hands on it, but it dropped off my radar. thank you for the reminder...i need to go pick this one up.

    and mad men huh? stevie's been talking about mad men as well. maybe i should give it a second look after stopping with the original pilot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah--Alex is walking! I don't think that I would have been able to contain myself.

    I've never heard of the 'the station agent'--maybe we'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete