Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Alexander: 1 Year and 1 Tooth Later . . . .

Alex has come a long way in the last year of his life. For so long, his talents were limited to nursing, sleeping, and urinating.

On his mother.

Every day.

But now . . . He can do a pretty true-to-life monster impersonation, climb the stairs in record time (we call it "climbing Everest" and lead an expedition every night to tire him out before bed), sing to himself in his sleep, tear pages out of rare books, and give gushing open-mouth, hanging-tongue kisses. He is fully aware of the fingernail-bending power of his lone tooth and practices hyena-like jaw clamping every time his mother reaches into his mouth to retrieve foreign objects.

Like chewed up business cards.

From his mother's purse.

We couldn't let these first-year accomplishments go uncelebrated.









Being a one-year old is great.

16 comments:

  1. Alex looks so cute.. Belated Happy B'day to him. Shobhana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. He is so cute. What a fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Happy Birthday!!!! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get that cake? It's so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the cake--It was a lemon cake with lemon curd filling and lemon buttercream frosting. And I served it with homemade ice cream (my first time making it!). Sometimes I think I'm crazy, but I have to develop some domestic skills at some point in my life, so I do it in bursts, around celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Alex, he's so adorable! Way to go on the cake! I totally think if you are going to develop domestic skills, why not develop useful ones, like cake and ice cream making!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shobs! Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the stages where they get into everything, scream when they want something, learn the word no, and most importantly want to cuddle or give hugs just becasue they WANT to!

    Happy Birthday little guy!

    P.S. That is a cute cake! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy birthday cutie! i think my favorite age is the 14 months until they turn 2. It is all fun, and it does seem to become more fun as they grow, but there is jsut something special to me about the age he is on the cusp of reaching. he is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! Happy, happy, happy birthday! He is a really cute little guy. And there is only more fun to come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one cool cake. It is always so fun to celebrate the first bithday. I'm very impressed at how domestic you are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just tell me you didn't make that cake. Please. I'm already uber-awed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is too cute! Don't you just love it? Now wait until he hits the two's and the three's - oh you will have soooo much to write about!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane, I did make the cake. But don't be uber-awed, please. Realize that I packed six months worth of domesticity into one day.

    Welcome, Mommy K. Just dropped by your blog, and I am uber-awed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday Alex! He is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really birthdays are so much fun and 1 year olds are the best (not that it's ALL down hill from here, but sometimes I think so...) Love the polka dots on the cake! Alex is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete