Monday, April 14, 2008

Loved This Movie

After surviving the interminably long Lord of the Rings trilogy (in all its extended version glory), I believed Elijah Wood could never play a character over four feet tall. Once a hobbit, always a hobbit.

I was wrong. Elijah Wood transcended his hairy-footed hobbit role and did a great job playing an eccentric writer visiting the Ukraine in search of his Jewish ancestry. The dialog is clever, the characters are endearing, and the story is engaging (even heartwarming). Think Little Miss Sunshine meets Borat meets Fiddler on the Roof meets La Vita e Bella (filmed in an Amelie fashion). There's something for everyone, even a little seeing eye dog named "Sammy Davis Jr. Jr." and a "premium" break-dancer who likes to sing Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean." I haven't been so amused since reading friend Lyndsay's commentary on her home-town newspaper.

But be warned that this is only a comedy in the sense that La Vita e Bella is a comedy--don't expect Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake to lead you in song for the finale. There are some very tragic moments. But they somehow fit perfectly with the understated humor.

1 comment:

  1. I am beyond flattered!
    This is the second recommendation I've seen for this movie so I think I have to watch it, despite being a big fan of Strawberry Shortcake/Care Bear endings.

    ReplyDelete