Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Black Holes and the Original Banana Republic

Alarmed by recent news that the whole Earth may soon be swallowed up by a black hole originating in a Swiss science lab, I decided it was time to select a vacation destination before it's too late. (I prioritized this task over other to-do list items, including sending a wedding present to a certain friend who is not exactly a newlywed anymore and coming up with a less ridiculous looking banner for this blog. In the face of impending doom, one must prioritize.) If this were a democracy, your votes would dictate a trip to the leprechaun-infested rolling green hills of Ireland, where a U.S. dollar gets me about six tenths of a Euro or half a British pound, which, in turn, buys me a gum ball. There's something unpalatable about paying money to lose money. Add to that the prospect of Alex refusing to conform his sleeping pattern to the rising and setting of the Irish sun (does the sun come out in Ireland?), and Guatemala and Honduras (zero time zones away and ridiculously cheap) start to sound pretty good, even if the region has earned the titles of Mosquito Coast and Banana Republic. I've got bug repellent, and we love bananas.

Besides, how bad can this be?


And for those of you who urged us to stay home and watch Globe Trekker: The tickets are purchased; don't try to talk me out of it. And I don't want to hear any "I told you so"s when we come back with malaria.

6 comments:

  1. FINE. I'm sold on cheap and beautiful vacation destinations. Erik and I are heading to Mehico in June, so who am I to tell you to forsake either North or South America for your trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful! I wish that Nate and I could take a vacation sometime soon! We probably won't get one for a LONG time. Live it up for us while you are there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved your blog banner. Sounds like you're making the right choice about your travel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who voted for Ireland? I think I recommended Spain / Portugal, but this looks awesome. I am very jealous. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very mad that you are taking mom with you and not me! No fair! Grrrrr!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having lived in Guatemala for two years, I can highly endorse this decision. It is beautiful yet simple, and the people are great. As far as I know, I didn't come home with any sicknesses. Just be careful about eating from street vendors. You'll have to let me know where in Guatemala you go.

    ReplyDelete