Thursday, March 13, 2008

Flip Flop That House


After a full year on the market, we have finally sold our house in Sandy. Our marketing strategy resembled Walmart's: "Watch For Falling Prices." I'm going to miss the house; I was starting to think of it as our second home--our "summer home"--you know, a place to go when you need to use the "I'm-going-out-of-town" excuse (this is especially appropriate when you're being asked for the third weekend in a row to help someone move into/out of your neighborhood).

Some things I've learned from our adventures in the real estate market:

(1) Don't buy a new house until after you've sold the house you're living in, unless you are buying a villa in Tuscany or a beach condo in Panama (multiples are okay in those cases). If you're wondering why we, being the rational people that we are, might violate this rule, please see our annual newsletter for a recap of how we got ourselves into this mess.

(2) If you do violate rule 1, don't buy your second house at the peak of the market and sell your current house at the market's all-time low. It's just not good math.

(3) A violation of rules 1 and 2 completely strips you of the right to claim to have "flipped" a house. You may have "flopped" a house, but that's very different.

(4) If the title company tells you to sign "Peter Pan" on the deed, just do it. As with our last two real estate purchases, the title company insisted that I sign my name exactly as they prescribed--not as I normally sign my name. The title company is going to wish it had let me use my usual signature (I've recently adopted a heart with wings as my mark) when I refuse to vacate my house until I am shown a deed with my true signature. (As an aside, a title company also once made me sign a document acknowledging an alias that I have never ever used (ah, the joys of keeping my own last name in a conservative male-ordered society. . . .)).

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you sold your house! What a relief for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of fears, this is one of my worst nightmares.
    When you say not to buy a new house until after you've sold the house you're living in unless you are buying a villa in Tuscany or a beach condo in Panama, did you also impliedly mean to add "or a Toledo cape cod house?" If so, whew. If not, I don't want to talk about it.
    I don't have the stomach for real estate at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting it done even if it was a "flop."

    At least you got a good post out of it, and that's all that really matters, right?

    ReplyDelete