Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Books, TV, and Movies: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Good

The Home Comforts Book of Laundry: Yes, I read (actually, I skimmed) a 416-page book all about laundry. I learned a lot. (I thought a triangle on a care label represented an iron--now I know it refers to bleach). Unfortunately, Kendall's laundry technique remains the same, so I can count on a few more shrunken wool sweaters unless I'm willing to take over laundry duty permanently--and I'm not. My full review is on Shelfari.

The Nanny Book: It's true; I read a book all about hiring a nanny. This book helped me formulate interview questions, determine appropriate salary, take note of important topics that should be discussed with potential hires, set an appropriate work schedule, formulate a paid time off policy, etc. My full review is on Shelfari.

Lost: It's back. It's better than anything else on TV right now.

The Bad

First Daughter: I'm embarrassed to say Kendall and I rented this movie. I don't know what we thought it could offer. When we realized that the college adventures of a fictitious U.S. President's cute and bubbly daughter (played by a fully-grown thirty-something-year-old Katie Holmes) didn't quite strike a chord with us (about 20 minutes into the movie), we promptly returned it.

Renaldo Lapuz: While his singing is downright bad, I found myself wanting to be this American Idol contender's friend after he sang his original composition: "I am Your Brother, Your Best Friend Forever." Such a nice guy. Such a bad outfit. Such a funny song. Relive the moment on YouTube.

The Ugly


The Canon of American Legal Thought: I think the title speaks for itself. It's a canon (900 + pages) and it's about the law. It's ugly, but I'm learning a lot about various scholars' approaches to jurisprudence.

Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust: There are very few stories as ugly as the Tutsi genocide of the mid 1990's. This is the personal narrative of one survivor, who hid in a tiny bathroom for over two months while her neighbors, family, and friends were murdered just outside. The book is a notable effort to bring the Tutsi genocide to light (although Hotel Rwanda has done a great deal to further the cause) and an inspiring story of survival and forgiveness. I am enjoying reading it (not quite finished), but it does have a few faults. The most bothersome is one of the main premises of the book: that the author was saved because of her faith in God. I'm sure there were a lot of people with unyielding faith in God that were nonetheless murdered--if I were their surviving family members, I might be upset. But it's a good (and quick) read, nonetheless. My full review is on Shelfari.



4 comments:

  1. Wow about the laundry book. I can't even imagine.

    I have seen First Daughter, unfortunately. I was very surprised to see that on your "Now Playing" list a few days ago. Well, we all make mistakes...

    Very good points about LEFT TO TELL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Kendall's brother is in our ward: Kent Hulet. The photo of Kendall with baby Alex looks so much like Kent plus the name coincidence . . . Could it be? I loved reading through your blog, btw! You guys are both hilarious. Another aside: we were going to call our William Alexander "Alex" but I got cold feet at the last minute (bc of my name). I love that name for a boy!

    If you have not seen In Good Company, that may be a good idea for your next rental. I think its great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually saw a documentary on the Tutsi woman and it was both horrible and intriguing. I couldn't stop watching. I'm going to check out the Laundry book upon your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, I really -- not enjoyed -- but was impacted by (don't you hate it when people say "impacted," like it was a bum tooth) We Wish to Inform you that Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with our Families by Philip Gourevitch.

    Have you heard of any "good" books about the Darfur genocide yet? Not that I am looking for genocide books to read. So hope-less, and I agree with your main complaint about Left to Tell.

    That idea seems as valid/helpful as the one that God can't exist because bad happens to good people.

    ReplyDelete